1) What is your job title?
Academic & Specialist Sales Manager, UK, Europe, ROW
2) How would you describe your job?
3) What does an average day look like?
Email, email, email
4) What is your career history prior to taking on this role?
International Sales Manager, F&W Media a Content + eCommerce Company
Sales Manager, Oneworld Publications
Commercial Manager, I.B.Tauris Publishers
Sales Representative, I.B.Tauris Publishers
Royal Air Force
Library Liaison Office, Blackwell’s Periodical, Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford
Bookseller, Blackwell’s Bookshop, Broad Street, Oxford
Sales Assistant & Office Administrator, Allied Carpets
Goods-in Supervisor, Parker’s Library Supply, Oxford
Bookseller, Parker’s Bookshop, Oxford
5) What do you like best about your job?
The people, the books, our customers, our sales distributors & agents, everything really
6) What are some of the challenges of the role?
Ensuring time is effectively spent to achieve my crucial goals = increasing sales
7) What have been some recent highlights of the role?
Getting to know my colleagues and learning the content and processes of Oxbow/Casemate
8) What skills do you need for your job?
UK & International sales experience, IT skills, level-headed personality, being a calm and reasonable person and a team player
9) Why did you get into publishing?
Love of books and to earn more money as the bookshop side of the industry is typically paid lower than the publishing side. This was my pathway to give my wife and children everything I possibly could to give them a good life.
10) What advice would you give to someone looking to work or progress in the publishing industry?
Have a passion for books, be a team player, be prepared to work hard, listen, learn, and be respectful to everyone.
And finally, what do you like to do outside of work?
Spending the max time I can with my family and fill the gaps with cycling and walking our dog. Plus, reading, football, rugby, well, almost all sport I’m afraid so feel a little pity for my amazing wife – Diane!